Yesterday evening, Adam and I were cleaning up around the house, getting ready for our trip to D.C. this weekend. As I was straightening the kitchen, I saw one bill that I had forgotten to mail. I grabbed it and quickly ran outside to stick it in the mailbox.
About halfway down my driveway, I realized that in my haste I hadn't put shoes on! Now, I don't normally go running around outdoors without shoes on, especially with the fire ants we have EVERYWHERE in Texas. But all of a sudden, as I was walking down the street, feeling the warm, rough concrete beneath my feet, memories of my childhood came flooding back.
Where I grew up in northern Arkansas, we didn't have fire ants, so in the summertime every kid on my block practically lived barefoot (insert the Arkansas joke of your choice, haha). We would run and play in the street, walk to each other's houses, even ride our bikes without shoes. I remember each springtime, when the weather started to warm up, I would take that first walk into the street barefoot, feeling the hot asphalt sting my feet. As the summer wore on, the bottoms of my feet would become leathery and calloused, able to run over gravel without a thought or a care.
It was such a wonderful, nostalgic feeling walking to the mailbox. I could almost hear my childhood friend Hank call out my name as he rode his bike past, or my mom asking us to come in for dinner. And all of that because of a couple of bare feet...
I don't really have a point to this; it was just a really cool moment that I wanted to share with y'all! I hope you have a great weekend, and make time to stop and enjoy those fleeting, beautiful moments.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I loved this Erin! When the kids enter your life - you'll probably go barefoot more often than you'll want to - mainly because you won't be able to find your own shoes!!! Thanks for sharing this - it made me smile remembering my own childhood days of constantly being outside!
ReplyDelete