My mom and dad on our Segway tour:
The Segways were so much fun! They were a little tough to get used to, but once I felt comfortable I loved it!
Adam, documenting our trip via video, and Samir, looking very concerned. I'm not sure he liked the Segways too much.

The weather was absolutely perfect for our trip. Everything was in bloom, especially the tulips (my favorite flower!):


After our Segway excursion, we went over to the White House to tour the grounds. The grounds are open just two weekends a year, one in spring and one in fall, and we just happened to get lucky with our choice of weekend!
More beautiful tulips, with the White House in the background. Look how close we were allowed to get!


The White House, from the back:
A gorgeous little gazebo in the shade. I wanted to go sit in there so much!
Adam, Samir and me. Thanks Samir for showing us around your turf!
The view from the White House. Can you imagine seeing this out your bedroom window?
Later in the evening, we went back to the White House for our exclusive West Wing tour and bowling! Samir showed us around the place. The doors you see are into the Oval Office. No biggie.


This is the grassy area that the Marine One helicopter lands in. More pretty flowers!
The Colonnade connecting the main White House to the West Wing. This is how Obama gets to work everyday:
The Press Briefing Room. Tell me Mr. Bortka, what's the news for today?
The Presidential Bowling Alley!
The walls were decorated with photos of various presidents bowling. Here's one of Truman:
I thought this was hilarious: historic ash trays!
Adam bowling: look at that perfect form!
The funniest part of the whole experience: this is the basement hallway that leads to the bowling alley! My dad (who is 6'4") had to duck through here.

Well, that's about it! We had such a wonderful time; it was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience!
















This looks so great guys!! I am totally jealous! DC is one of my dream "geek" vacations. Can't wait to catch up and hear all about it.
ReplyDeleteHow fun! Looks like you guys had a blast! And what beautiful weather!
ReplyDeleteSo how, what, I don't understand... is Samir some White House insider that got you that close to everything???
ReplyDeleteHaha, yes Penny! Samir is Adam's best friend from high school and works for the president. So cool, huh?!
ReplyDeleteErin, you are way to cute to be calling yourself a geek! The segways are awesome and I am WAY impressed that Adam was videoing while riding one!
ReplyDelete