So, my birthday is coming up this week (Friday), and I've really been introspective the last few days. What's going to happen this year? In 30 years, what will I look back on and say, "Remember that? I was 26 when that happened"? Every year, I've stood on the brink of a new age, having no idea what was about to come my way. I've thought back to a few especially life-changing ages:
Age 6: We adopted my big sister Amanda.
Age 7: We moved from east Tennessee to Russellville, AR. I met Rebecca Brown on the playground of my new school, oblivious that she would become my best friend and maid of honor.
Age 11: I joined the school band, choosing to play the oboe because an older girl on the school bus played it. I still play it occasionally for my church, and it is one of my favorite hobbies.
Age 13: I joined the school gymnastics team. Even though I was TERRIBLE (way too tall and a big chicken), it was the start of an incredible friendship with Becky and Leslie, who I keep in touch with to this day.
Age 14: I had the opportunity of dancing in the Nutcracker with Ballet Arkansas. I still look back on that year as one of my favorite and most proud moments.
Age 17: The year I discovered, visited, and fell in love with The University of Oklahoma. Who knew what changes that decision would bring into my life!
Age 20: This is a big one. On my twentieth birthday, I was dating a boy named Matt (who was, let's face it, a terrible choice for a boyfriend), I was majoring in Pre-Pharmacy, and I hadn't been to church in months. In that one year, I worked in a pharmacy, hated it, changed my major to Chemical Engineering, got out of that unhealthy relationship, rekindled my love affair with Jesus Christ, and met the man who would become the man of my dreams, Adam. Whew, what a year!
Age 23: Graduated from college, moved to Colorado, married Adam. That was a great one!
Age 24: Moved to Katy, Texas, joined The Waters Church. Now I can't imagine being anywhere else!
Age 25: Started working for my offshore platform, the first job I can actually say I enjoy. Set and achieved the goal of running a 10K. Started playing in the Waters band and teaching Sunday School. Traveled to Italy on the vacation of a lifetime.
What's going to happen at age 26? Will this finally be the year of the baby? Let's be honest, that really what I'm getting at here. I want to be able to say, "I had (unnamed baby) when I was 26. What an incredible year!" But even if it doesn't happen for us this year, I hope I can look back on 26 and say, "That was a great year." So friends and family, here's to another year in my life. I'm so happy that you're a part of it, and I know that no matter what happens or doesn't happen, I know that it will be a great year!
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment